Laura will take you through the complete process of reduction printing (a process where the whole image is created using a single piece of lino, cutting more away with each layer of colour). The course covers design, cutting techniques and how to print by hand. Laura will use examples of her own work and that of others to guide your approach and to encourage creative cutting, making sure you get the most out of your printmaking. Materials will also be covered: papers, inks and tool maintenance. You will leave with a detailed fact sheet along with your prints.
- design: designing an effective image to get the most from your linocut; thinking creatively within the boundaries of the process
- cutting: creative mark-making; cutting cleanly and safely; maintenance skills
- printing: inking the block; different inking approaches; hand burnishing prints effectively
- general: preparing lino; what to look for in paper and ink; how to edition prints; hints and tips about lino printing and choosing tools, etc.
This course is designed for a range of abilities including beginners
Materials are not included in your course fee. This is because the amounts used vary from person to person, depending on the project(s) completed.
All materials will be provided by the tutor. The approximate cost of these will be £26. The tutor will also be selling the same registration devices as you will be using in class, for those who do not want to make their own at home. These will be £35.
The items you will need to bring with you are listed below.
If you have additional tools and materials that you would like to bring with you if you are very keen to use them, then please do so if you wish. You may not need to use them however – the tutor has listed all your essential needs for this particular course above.
We advise that you do not buy any materials required for a course more than two weeks in advance, because occasionally a course is cancelled due to low enrolment.
We do not have the facilities to take card payments for materials in the workshops. Please remember to bring cash or your cheque book if your course involves buying materials from the tutor.
Please Bring With You
- a basic set of coloured pencils (in case you want to colour code your design)
- any photos, images, sketches you may want as inspiration, or just bring your enthusiasm as the tutor will also bring books and pictures
- an apron (and please wear old clothes)
- a camera or similar device if you think taking ‘action shots’ would be helpful
Timings & Refreshments
The course starts at 10am and finishes at 4.30pm. Please aim to arrive between 9.30 and 9.45am to allow for a prompt 10am start. Fresh ground coffee and a range of teas are provided all day, along with homemade cookies in the morning, a complimentary sandwich lunch and cake in the afternoon.
SPECIAL DIETS: As peoples' allergies, intolerances, special diets and preferences are so many and varied, we are not able to cater for these. However, we will be able to cater for a gluten free diet so please tell us on arrival if you need a gluten free option