The Korean Moon Jar has a long and iconic history which we will explore a little, as well as making our own versions. I have evolved the concept of the Moon Jar (Large, white), to reflect more of a lunar effect, through the use of Terra Sigillata and smoke firing. So we will apply Terra Sig to one of the Moon Jars. We will then decorate another Jar using underglazes to reflect the Earth.
The pots will be left with the tutor for firing, final transparent glaze application and then smoke firing and will be available for collection from Ardington School of Crafts approx 4 weeks following the course. Pieces can also be posted directly to students for additional cost. Alternatively students may take their pieces home directly.
- Slab building, including use of templates
- Using texture as a decorative technique
- Joining sections of clay & blending/ securing seams
- Shaping enclosed forms
- Forming and shaping lids & knobs
- Applying underglazes and Terra Sigillata
This course is designed for a range of abilities including beginners.
Materials are not included in your course fee. All materials will be provided by the tutor. The approximate costs for 4 Moon/Earth Jars will be £20-25 payable to the tutor during the course. Additional pots will attract an extra charge for materials and firing.
Each pot to be fired will be charged at £6-8 depending upon size
Postage – Tutor will advise individual students depending upon weight of work
Your tutor may not have the facilities to take card payments in the workshops. Please remember to bring cash or your cheque book if your course involves buying materials from the tutor.
Please Bring With You
- Sketchbook / Notebook & writing equipment
- Please wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty
- You are welcome to bring your own tools; please ensure they are marked with your name to avoid confusion
We advise that you do not buy any materials required for a course more than two weeks in advance, because occasionally a course is cancelled due to low enrolment.