ONLINE The Luminous Letter - Starts Thurs 18th November 2021 at 2pm
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the workshop demos live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this course for 30 days. Please note that the follow up session is not recorded.
DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND, WE ARE RUNNING THIS CLASS AGAIN IN JAN 2022. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS.
Thurs 18th November 2pm - 4pm workshop demo
Thurs 25th November 2pm - 4pm workshop demo
Thurs 2nd December 2pm - 3pm feedback and Q&A session
This LivePlus™ online workshop is ideal for beginners and improvers alike.
Medieval and Renaissance illuminated manuscripts are filled with vibrant and fanciful initials. In this course we'll be taking cues from these historic manuscripts, as well as the opulence of the Victorian era, to create our own beautiful designs.
Heather will guide students through all the stages of designing, gilding, and painting these Luminous Letters. The initials themselves are easy to draw and we will find ways to adorn the letter with florals, foliates, pen flourishes and seasonal delights.
We will use a simple gilding technique with 23K gold leaf and watercolour to bring our letters to life. These letters can be as simple or as complex as you like, and the possibilities are endless. Open the wonderful world of illumination through these gorgeous letters.
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- How to design your own unique letters
- How to gild with 23K gold leaf
- How to embellish letterforms with pointed pen flourishes and watercolour
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
- Gridded drawing paper
- Mechanical Pencil
- Either a light box to transfer your drawing or tracing paper and a 4B pencil
- Hot Press 140 lb watercolour paper cut to 5”x7”
- Waterproof brown ink such as McCaffery Brown or Ziller Buffalo Brown. You can also use brown acrylic ink
- Pointed Steel Pen in straight holder such as Hunt 22B, Gillott 404 or Zebra G
- Kohlner Miniatum Ink Gilding Medium
- 23K gold transfer leaf if you want to try gilding
- Your favourite watercolours any colours and any brand. You can limit your palette to a few seasonal colours such as green, blue, red. A helpful addition to your palette is Titanium White watercolour.
- Small white china/porcelain plate to serve as palette
- Small detail watercolour brushes such as Isabey 6229 Sizes 2 and 3, or Rosemary and Co Series 307 size 2/0
- Water dish
- Paper towel
- Kitchen cloth
- Sakura Gelly Roll Pen Clear Stardust
- Metallic watercolours
- Swarovski Crystals size ss5 (these require and adhesive such as Beacon Gem Tac Glue)
You needn't have the materials ready whilst watching the live demonstration – the demo session is a time to watch, ask and learn. After the demo you will be sent a link to the recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days.
Links to suppliers
Scribblers Calligraphy Supplies
Jackson's Art Supplies - Finest Art Materials
Cass Art: Quality Art Supplies - Best Prices | Cass Art