ONLINE Gilding on Gesso: An Introduction - Tues 1st March 2022 at 2pm
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the workshop demo live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this workshop for 30 days. Please note that the follow up session is not recorded.
Tutor: Toni Watts
Tues 1st March 2pm - 3:30pm workshop demo
Tues 8th March 2pm - 3pm follow up & feedback
This LivePlus™ online workshop is ideal for those with some experience of gilding or have attended Toni's previous workshop 'The Art of Illumination'.
Gilding on traditional manuscript gesso, when done well, produces a mirror-like golden shine which survives for hundreds of years. Like any skill it takes practice to achieve perfection, but good tuition definitely speeds up the process.
This short course will teach you how to make, store, reconstitute and lay manuscript gesso. We’ll look at gilding techniques and the advantages and disadvantages of both loose leaf and transfer gold. Burnishing, or polishing the gold leaf enhances the shine and we’ll discuss what tools to use and how to use them for best effect. One of the most important elements of the class is the follow up session where we concentrate on troubleshooting – what to do when things go wrong and how to fix mistakes!
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- Making, storing and reconstituting manuscript gesso
- Health and safety
- Reconstituting gesso, getting rid of air bubbles
- Laying and shaping gesso
- The use of transfer and loose leaf gold
- Burnishing – tools and technique
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
You needn't have the materials ready whilst watching the live demonstration – the demo session is a time to watch, ask and learn. After the demo you will be sent a link to the recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days.
The kit which accompanies this workshop is available from Toni at a cost of approx. £12 for UK students plus P&P. (Shipping to elsewhere in the world is also available.) The kit will include:
- 3g (approx.) manuscript gesso made with titanium white, not lead carbonate
- Two small squares of glassine paper
- Two 80 x 80mm pieces of 23 carat transfer gold
You will also need:
- Hot Pressed watercolour paper, 140lb / 300gsm. One piece, approx. A4 will be plenty to practice on
- Brushes with a fine point size 1 and 000 round
- Pencils for drawing / tracing designs – 2H and 2B or similar
- A palette or small pot (3-4cm in diameter) in which to reconstitute your gesso
- A pin
- A scalpel with a size 10 Swann Morton blade or a similarly shaped craft knife
- A selection of paints of your choice eg watercolour or gouache if you want to add colour to your design
- Kitchen towel for wiping brushes
- Pot for water
- Clove oil (optional)
- Tracing paper - optional (A4)
- Burnisher (agate or haematite) or a very smooth tumbled gemstone
- Clean water for reconstituting gesso. (Distilled or de-ionised is best but can use tap water if you don't have either.)
Links to suppliers