ONLINE Sketching in Pen & Wash - Starts Mon 10th January 2022 at 2pm
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the workshop demos live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this workshop for 30 days. Please note that the follow up session is not recorded.
Mon 10th January 2pm - 3:30pm workshop demo
Mon 17th January 2pm - 4pm workshop demo plus feedback
This LivePlus™ online workshop is ideal for beginners and those with some experience of working with watercolours
During this two-part series, Jonathan will show you how to sketch winter landscapes with pen and watercolour paint.
Using photos as reference he will demonstrate a different painting each week that will show you how to use lively pen marks and the subdued colours of winter to sketch winter trees, skies and buildings in a snowy landscape.
You needn't have the materials ready whilst watching the live demonstrations – they are a time to watch, ask and learn. After each painting demo you will be sent a link to a recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days. During the second session, Jonathan will offer feedback to any students who would like to share their work from week one.
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- Making different pen and brush marks
- Colour mixing using a limited palette
- How to paint trees, skies and buildings in a winter landscape
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
- A4 or ¼ imperial pad of ‘Not’ surface watercolour paper 140lb/300gsm (‘Not’ refers to the surface texture of the paper and is also known as CP (cold pressed) or Bockingford)
- Size 8 or 10 round watercolour brush
- Size 4 round watercolour brush
- Watercolour paint, either tubes or pans, in Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue, Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna OR Yellow Ochre, Alizarin Crimson OR Cadmium Red
- Black waterproof ink pen size 02, 03, 04 OR 05 (Jonathan recommends Pilot DR Drawing pen, Edding Profipen, Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pen, Mitsubishi PinPen or Sakura Pigma Micron)
- 2B pencil
- Water container
Links to suppliers