ONLINE Cezanne Inspired Landscape in Acrylic - Starts Mon 28th March 2022 at 2pm
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the workshop demos live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this workshop for 30 days. Please note that the follow up session is not recorded.
Mon 28th March 2pm - 3:30pm workshop demo
Mon 4th April 2pm - 4pm workshop demo and Q&A
This LivePlus™ online workshop is suitable for students of all levels.
In this two-part workshop, you will learn how Paul Cezanne painted his landscapes in the south of France.
Jonathan will show you how to paint in an impressionist style in acrylic paints, using the techniques and skills of Cezanne. The course will include insight into the way Cezanne painted landscapes using his recognisable brushmarks, his background and the influence of his contemporaries.
During each session you will be shown how to mix and apply the paint, how to control your tones and colours, and how to use the brushes and palette knife. Jonathan will produce one painting from a photograph spread over the two sessions.
You needn't have the materials ready whilst watching the live demonstration – the demo session is a time to watch, ask and learn. After the demo you will be sent a link to the recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days.
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- Making different marks using brushes and a palette knife
- Colour mixing using a limited palette
- How to paint in an impressionist style
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
- A4 tear-off palette or a few paper plates
- Size 12 round acrylic painting brush
- Size 4 and 8 flat or filbert brushes
(Brush sizes vary depending on manufacturer. You will need brushes approximately 5mm, 10mm and 15mm wide)
- Daler Rowney System 3 paint 75ml tubes of the following colours: Ultramarine Blue, Pthalo Blue (optional), Cadmium Yellow, Burnt Sienna OR Burnt Umber, and Titanium White (or an equivalent make such as Winsor Newton)
- A3 Daler Rowney System 3 acrylic paper OR stretched canvas OR canvas board (watercolour paper will suffice if you have it)
- Palette knife
- Tissues or a rag
- An old shirt or apron to wear