ONLINE Calligraphy: Vivacious Versals - Tues 1st November 2022 at 2pm
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the workshop demo live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this workshop for 30 days. Please note that the follow up session is not recorded.
Tues 1st November 2pm - 3:30pm workshop demo
Tues 8th November 2pm - 3pm follow up and feedback
This LivePlus™ online workshop is suitable for all levels, but some knowledge of calligraphy is required
Versals were used in 9th and 10th century manuscripts, usually as a single initial letter, larger than the written text, to indicate the beginning of a new verse or as Display Capitals in headings as the beginning paragraph of a new page. They are built-up elegant letters made with compound strokes of a pen and based on Roman Inscriptional Capitals. Today we can use this letterform to make beautiful capital letters or as a basis for decorative letters.
In the workshop you will learn the basic formation of each Versal letter to create gracefully written letterforms. We will look at some interesting ideas of how to use these very adaptable letters and create a more modern Versal that can be used as a well-designed piece of writing or, on its own, enhanced with colour and some decoration.
You can have fun constructing your own exciting and colourful capital letters, which can be used as a script to enhance your writing. You may wish to create vibrant modern decorative letters or a single initial, using a pencil, dip pen, line and colour.
The workshop will be both informative and enjoyable and Jan will offer individual feedback on your work during the follow up session, if you would like it. You are very welcome to work along with Jan during the workshop demo if you would like, or you can just sit and watch if you would prefer. After the demo you will be sent a link to the recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days.
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- To learn the basic construction of the Versal letter of the alphabet
- To learn how to manipulate the pen to create the subtle shapes
- To be shown how to adapt the letters to create modern calligraphy
- To construct a single decorative letter from a Versal
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
- Calligraphy board
- A small selection of dip pens including a small square-edged nib, Rexel 4 or Speedball 5, (1mm).
- Black ink
- Ruler, and a “T” Square ( very useful for drawing lines)
- 2H and HB and B pencils for drawing lines as well as the Versal letters
- A cheap technical pen (Fineliner, Uniball or similar)
- Practice paper or photocopy paper, preferably A3 size
- Tracing paper
- A small amount of good quality smooth Hot pressed paper one or two pieces of A4 or A3 for finished work
- A selection of gouache or watercolour paints
- Paint brushes with good point – No. 2 or 4
- Two water pots or jars and kitchen towel and a mixing palette or plate
Links to suppliers
- Scribblers – www.scribblers.co.uk
- Blots Pen and Ink Supplies - www. Blotspens.co.uk