ONLINE Festive Calligraphic Gold - Fri 2nd December 2022 at 10am
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the workshop demo live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this workshop for 30 days. Please note that the follow up session is not recorded.
Fri 2nd December 10am - 11:30am workshop demo
Fri 16th December 10am - 11am follow up & feedback session
This LivePlus™ online workshop is suitable for beginners and improvers alike.
Play with gold effects for festive calligraphic uses, using acrylic metallic paints, gouache, and coloured papers to create decorative festive designs ,labels and tiny gift boxes to set your imagination off in your own direction.
Metallics are particularly fun to employ for any festivities in the winter months, as their sparkle is a welcome attraction, and a distraction from the dark. It’s amazing what can be done with gold acrylic paints scraped across a page, rubbed down then written on; for more drama you can do it onto red or black papers and turn them into stunning parcel labels or greetings cards.
Gold gouache and other metallic paints are great to write with, once you’ve got the consistency working well and they too show up best on dark papers. Gifts become very acceptable if parceled in small boxes, so we’ll add our writing to shapes cut from templates provided.
You needn't have the materials ready whilst watching the live demonstration – the demo session is a time to watch, ask and learn. After the demo you will be given a link to the recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days.
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- How to insert sparkle into a calligraphic page
- How to write IN gold
- How to write ON gold
- Making simple gift boxes
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
Mary has created a sample kit to accompany this class which can be purchased for £6 plus p&P (UK only.) Details of how to order will be provided ahead of the class.
The kit includes sample pots of:
- Gold gouache
- Acrylic gold paint
- Acrylic bronze paint
- Acrylic silver paint
- Pumice powder
- plus strips of Scotch removable tape
If you would prefer to source your own materials, you will need:
- Gouaches in gold, silver*, OR Finetec; also red & colours of your choice in gouache.
- Acrylic paints in tubes; gold, silver, bronze ideal. (eg Winsor & Newton galleria)
- Abrasive powder eg pumice/ pounce
- Scotch Removable Tape (blue core)
All students will also need:
- Old plastic credit card & scissors to cut it
- Calligraphy dip pens, broad and narrow; plus automatic/poster pen an advantage.
- Paint palette, brushes, water pot.
- Ruler, pencil, compass (for drawing circles, not map-reading)
- Craft knife, cutting surface, ruler with metal edge
- Thin card in various colours -red, white & black ideal; ‘pastel’ papers give nice texture, otherwise Canson/ Canford.
- Hole punch & festive ribbon for labels (optional)