ONLINE Calligraphy: Designing borders & patterns the easy way - Tues 7th September 2021 at 10am
Due to the interactive nature of this course, we ask that all students participate live to gain the most from the experience.
A video playback service will still be provided for the workshop demo. Please note that the follow up session is not recorded.
Tues 7th September 10am - 12pm workshop demo
Tues 14th September 10am - 11am feedback & follow up session
This LivePlus™ online workshop is suitable for beginners and those with some experience
Learn to design and create exciting and beautiful decorative borders and motifs using grids and tracing paper. Add the finishing touch to your calligraphy designs, enhance and enrich the borders of your certificates and invitations, or embellish greeting cards or scrapbook pages. Have fun creating vibrant modern decorative patterns and motifs, geometric and floral, using a pencil, technical pen, coloured pencils or pens and paint.
We will begin with simple grid designs, then look at the techniques and templates of progressively more intricate development of ideas. The workshop is meant to be fun and informative for all levels. Students will be encouraged to work along as Jan demonstrates the techniques and then practise in their own time during the week, ahead of the feedback session on Tues 14th September.
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- How to use grid formations to develop simple ideas
- How to add intricate detail to basic designs with ease
- How to create unlimited repeat patterns for borders
- How to create motifs
- How to apply border design ideas to your work
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
To work along with Jan during the session you will need:
- A3 or A4 Layout Pad/photocopy paper for drawing the grids and practice
- A 45° set square (a small one is quite adequate)
- H and HB pencil
- Ruler and eraser
- Tracing paper (one or two sheets)
- A cheap black technical pen or similar (Optional £1.50 -Supermarket/Post Office)
- Some coloured pens or pencils (or the paints listed below if you are ambitious & wish to work along in paint)
Additional materials required for further practise:
- A “T” square is very useful but optional
- A piece(s) of good quality smooth paper enough for finished work – good quality cartridge or preferably watercolour paper HP 90lb (140gsm or more)
- A small selection of watercolour and/or gouache paints (perhaps include a gold and a white gouache for sparkle / highlights)
- Two small paint brushes with good points (#2 and either a #0 or #00)
- Additional paint brushes will be useful but are optional
- Two water pots and kitchen towel for wiping brushes
- A mixing palette or plate
Links to suppliers