ONLINE Coptic Stitch Bookbinding: Watercolour Covers & Two Needle Stitching - Wed 8th September 2021 at 10am
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the workshop demo live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this workshop for 30 days. Please note that the follow up session is not recorded.
Wed 8th September 10am - 11:30am workshop demo
Wed 22nd September 10am - 11am feedback and Q&A session
This LivePlus™ online workshop is suitable for students of all levels.
The demonstrations for this workshop fall naturally into two parts. First Janina will introduce easy watercolour techniques to paint your own book cover. This can be loosely based on a landscape, or something more abstract. She will demonstrate ways of enhancing the watercolour painting with paint pens.
Secondly, Janina will demonstrate how to make your book. This binding style opens up possibilities for using different coloured threads which make a very attractive pattern on the spine of the book. In this technique we use two needles simultaneously and it is different from the single needle method demonstrated in Janina’s previous Coptic stitch workshops.
Janina will show how to prepare the covers and inside pages, including using a sheet of acetate on the outside as a protection for the watercolour painting. Next she will show how to punch holes ready for stitching, and finally she will demonstrate the two–needle method of stitching. The demonstration piece will be an A5 portrait sized book.
In the follow up session there will be time to show what you have made and to ask any more questions.
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- Easy loose watercolour painting technique
- Folding and trimming paper for the inside pages (‘signatures’)
- Sewing the book together using two-needle method of Coptic stitch binding
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
- Cutting mat, sharp cutting knife or craft knife, metal ruler, scissors
- Sharp pencil
- Two large eye needles with blunt ends (eg tapestry needle size 20)
- Small sharp awl or braddle (for making holes in paper and card)
- Bone folder (for creasing paper)
- T square ruler (for getting accurate 90 degree corners)
- Bulldog clips
- 1 sheet sturdy A4 watercolour paper – Janina uses 350gsm watercolour paper from Seawhites
- Watercolours in your choice of colours
- Watercolour or similar soft brushes
- Paint pens eg POSCA pens
- 1 sheet clear acetate (A4)
- 24 sheets of A4 cartridge paper for inside pages – Janina uses 140gsm cartridge from Seawhites
- Waxed linen thread – 4 piece each approx. 3.5 feet long. These can all be different colours. Janina buys hers from Buercher Tiger supplies on Etsy
- Scrap paper
Janina has materials kits to accompany this course which contain watercolour and cartridge paper, acetate sheet and linen threads. Kits cost £10 plus P&P and can be purchased by clicking here.
You needn't have the materials ready whilst watching the live demonstration – the demo session is a time to watch, ask and learn. After the demo you will be sent a link to the recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days.
Links to suppliers
Bookbinding tools (bone folder, clip knife, awl, decorative papers, linen thread)
Hewit - https://www.hewit.com/
Shepherds - https://store.bookbinding.co.uk/store/
Etsy - Buercher Tiger supplies https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/buechertigersupplies
Paper, PVA glue, other tools
Jacksons - https://www.jacksonsart.com/