ONLINE Bookbinding: Soft Cover Books - Tues 30th November 2021 at 2pm
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the workshop demo live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this workshop for 30 days. Please note that the follow up session is not recorded.
Tues 30th November 2pm - 3:30pm workshop demo
Tues 14th December 2pm - 3pm feedback and Q&A
Back by popular demand just in time to make some wonderful Christmas gifts, this LivePlus™ online workshop is ideal for beginners through to intermediate bookbinders.
In this workshop, Janina will teach you how to make two styles of soft cover books, either in leather or soft, thick felt. You will learn how to make the popular Midori style traveller's notebook and a smaller book with exposed wrapped stitch.
The Midori style traveller's notebook is always very popular because it is easy to make and has removable inserts, so that once an insert is filled it can simply be replaced with another. Janina will begin with cutting out the cover, and marking and making the holes. She will then demonstrate how to make three inserts using pamphlet stitch to bind these inserts, and two ways of making pockets in the insert covers. She will show you how to assemble the books with 3 or 5 removable inserts.
The second book will be a small chunky book with a very attractive wrapped stitch binding. Janina will demonstrate how to line your cover with a decorative paper for strength and added decoration (this is an optional step but handy if you have quite thin leather). To make the book she will cut the leather / felt to size and will demonstrate how to prepare the inside pages to fit. The next step is to punch holes for sewing and the final step is to bind the pages and cover together using a wrapped stitch. Janina will show further options for adding ribbons, buttons and eyelets for closure.
After the workshop students will have chance to make their own books and at the follow up session, two weeks later, are invited to show their books, and to ask any further questions.
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- Preparation and trimming of leather / felt and paper
- Backing leather / felt with decorative paper
- How to make paper templates to ensure accurate holes placement in the spine
- Pamphlet stich binding for the Midori style book
- Wrapped stitch for the second book
- Adding eyelets, ribbons and buttons
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
- Basic drawing tools: pencil, eraser, sharpener
- Cutting tools: cutting or craft knife (essential this has a sharp blade for cutting the leather)
- Rotary cutter (only needed for felt option)
- Black felt tip pen
- Scrap card for protecting your work surface (eg back of sketchpad)
- Large eye blunt needle eg tapestry needle size 20 or similar for pamphlet stitch
- Very large needle for the wrapped cord book, needs to take 1mm waxed cord
- Hole punch - this is for making holes in the leather / felt and needs to have a long reach (approx. 10cm) You can also use a screw punch eg Xcut Screw Hole punch
- Bone folder for creasing paper (or you can use your fingernail)
- Small awl / braddle (for making holes in paper and card)
- Optional if you have it: paper knife / clip knife / shoe knife (for slicing paper)
Materials for the Midori Book
- Leather or thick (2-3mm) felt size 21cm by 22cm
- Thin elastic 1mm or 2mm – black or coloured, to coordinate with leather and card
- Scrap paper or card for holes template 21cm by 22 cm
- 2 sheets A4 card – plain or patterned
- 1 sheet 12 inch square card
- 30 sheets printer weight paper
- Double sided tape or glue stick
- Linen thread or other strong non stretchy thread
Materials for wrapped waxed cord book
- Leather or thick (2-3mm) felt size 13.5 cm by 21 cm
- Watercolour paper – for the demonstration Janina will use a pad of Academia watercolour paper 240gsm weight, 27cm by 35cm (this will be cut down to size for the book)
- 1mm thick waxed cord, 80cm long
- Scrap paper for holes template (A4)
- Optional for lining leather: decorative paper, PVA glue, foam roller for applying glue, waxed paper and heavy books for pressing
- Optional for book closure: ribbon, eyelets and eyelet setter, button, strong thread
Janina has kits available to purchase for both of the books. They are available from her website at a cost of £10 per kit (plus P&P). You can view all of the kits by clicking here - just click on the picture of the kit you are interested in to be taken to the purchase page.
Links to suppliers
Bookbinding tools (bone folder, clip knife, awl, decorative papers, linen thread)
Hewit - https://www.hewit.com/
Shepherds - https://store.bookbinding.co.uk/store/
Vintage Paper co - https://www.vintagepaper.co.uk/
The Range, for Xcut Screw punch - https://www.therange.co.uk/
G H Leathers Northampton - http://www.leathermerchants.com/
Etsy shop Made in Ludlow - https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MadeInLudlow
Cloud Craft - https://www.cloudcraft.co.uk/
Waxed cotton cord (1mm) and elastic (1mm or 2mm)
Etsy Shop Rainbow Cord Shop - https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/RainbowCordShop
Cartridge paper, PVA glue, card, general art and craft tools
Jacksons - https://www.jacksonsart.com/
Hobbycraft - https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk