ONLINE Fabulously Festive Wreath - Monday 6th December 2021 at 10am
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the talk live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this talk for 30 days.
Tutor: Alison Butler
Mon 6th December 10am - 11:30am
This LivePlus™ online workshop is ideal for complete beginners and those with some experience
A Christmas wreath for your door or gate always says welcome! In this demonstration, Alison will make a beautiful door wreath from scratch, talking you through how to make the most of both foraged and bought foliage & materials. Her friendly, step-by-step approach will teach all the skills you need to make a door wreath for any occasion!
Alison will show you how to add fresh, dried or artificial decorations to your wreath and offer inspiration for other versions to explore in your own time. By the end of the class you'll know everything you need to know to make a show-stopping wreath for your front door and will hopefully be inspired to make others for friends!
This class would be a lovely activity to do together as a group - please get in touch to discuss your requirements before booking.
You needn't have the materials ready whilst watching the live demonstration – the demo session is a time to watch, ask and learn. After the demo you will be sent a link to the recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days.
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- Covering a wire wreath ring with moss ready for decoration
- Designing and making a well-proportioned door wreath
- Floristry techniques for wiring and combining foliage, fruit, seed-heads, nuts and flowers and other foraged natural objects, dried materials or artificial decorations
- The colour wheel principles and how they will impact your design
- How to forage for materials that won’t cost you the earth
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below. (This list is for guidance only - you can improvise and source your own materials, either in advance or once you have seen the LivePlus™ workshop, giving you maximum flexibility to choose how you would like to approach this craft.)
- Protective table covering (wipeable, water repellent oil cloth style tablecloth is perfect)
- Old cloth or tea towel
- 12” metal wire wreath frame
- Mossing wire (comes on a reel, can be purchased from any local florist or online)
- Florist wires ( to wire decorations such as cinnamon and pine cones)
- A pair of secateurs or good quality sharp scissors and small wire cutters if you have them
- String (optional, can be used to hang your wreath or you can use ribbon if your prefer)
- Sphagnum moss (purchase from a local florist or garden centre)
- Lots of seasonal foliage (Alison will discuss this in more detail during the demonstration)
- Selection of decorative accessories to fit your theme (e.g. pine cones, small fruits such as crab apples, cinnamon sticks, orange slices, dried flowers, baubles)
- 2m wired edge ribbon
Links to suppliers
Local florists and garden centres often stock lots of wreath making supplies, but you could also try: