ONLINE Handmade Books: Concertina book with hand-painted covers - Thurs 2nd December 2021 at 10am
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the workshop demo live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this workshop for 30 days. Please note that the follow up session is not recorded.
Thurs 2nd December 10am - 11:30am workshop demo
Thurs 16th December 10am - 11am feedback & follow up
This LivePlus™ online workshop is suitable for beginners right through to those with some experience of making books
Concertina books are super easy to make and extremely flexible when you come to fill them with your own drawings and painting.
During the workshop Janina will first demonstrate some simple techniques for decorating your own papers for the cover including ‘paint scrape’, stamping, and stenciling with acrylic paint.
She will then demonstrate all the steps for making an A5 concertina book by cutting greyboard and covering with your decorated paper. She will trim the inside paper to fit and show a trick for making sure all the zig zag folds line up. The folded sheets will be joined together with paper hinges to make the very long concertina and the final stage will be attaching the covers to the inside paper.
Once the book is complete Janina will show some variations on the concertina book format to give you some more ideas.
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- Techniques for making your own decorative paper for the covers, using acrylic paint
- Measuring and cutting the card and paper for the book
- Assembling the book
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
To make an A5 portrait orientation concertina book, you will need:
For decorating the cover paper
- 2 sheets A3 cartridge paper( Janina uses 140gsm cartridge from Seawhites)
- 3 or 4 of your favorite colours of acrylic paint. Any brand, any viscosity (runniness).
- Old credit card or hotel key card
- Any stamps, stencils or textured items – bubble wrap works well!
- Piece of sponge
- Palette – a paper plate is fine
For making the book
- PVA glue and glue brush or foam roller for gluing
- Glue stick
- 2 sheets A1 cartridge paper for the concertina and the paper hinges (Janina uses 220gsm cartridge from Seawhites)
- 2 pieces greyboard 2mm thick - each piece needs to be at least 21.5cm high and 15.5cm wide (The stiff card from the back of a pad of paper is fine)
- Pencil, eraser, sharpener
- Cutting mat (A3 or bigger if possible),
- Craft or cutting knife (scalpel is too delicate, and will not cut the 2mm greyboard)
- Metal ruler
- Bone folder (for creasing paper) or you can use your fingernail
- Paper knife / clip knife / shoe knife (for slicing paper) if you have it
- Paper scorer (an old biro without ink would work)
You needn't have the materials ready whilst watching the live demonstration – the demo session is a time to watch, ask and learn. After the demo you will be sent a link to the recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days.
Links to suppliers
You can purchase a kit from Janina for this workshop, by clicking here. The kit costs £10 plus P&P and includes:
2 sheets 140gsm cartridge paper, 1 sheet A1 220 gsm cartridge cut into 4 strips, additional 220gsm cartridge for the hinges, 2mm greyboard cut to size, 4 sheets of waxed paper.
Bookbinding tools (bone folder, clip knife)
Hewit - https://www.hewit.com/
Shepherds - https://store.bookbinding.co.uk/store/
Paper, PVA glue, greyboard, other tools
Seawhite - https://www.artesaver.co.uk/
Jacksons - https://www.jacksonsart.com/