ONLINE Big Skies in Watercolour - Starts Mon 31st January 2022 at 2pm
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the workshop demos live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this workshop for 30 days. Please note that the follow up session is not recorded.
Mon 31st January 2pm - 3:30pm workshop demo
Mon 7th February 2pm - 3:30pm workshop demo
Mon 14th February 2pm - 4pm workshop demo plus feedback
This LivePlus™ online workshop is ideal for beginners and those with some experience of working with watercolours
During this three-part series, Jonathan will show you how to paint big sky landscapes with watercolour paint.
Using photos as reference, he will demonstrate a different painting each week that will show you how to use lively painting techniques and different colours to create the atmosphere of stormy skies and sunsets.
You needn't have the materials ready whilst watching the live demonstrations – they are a time to watch, ask and learn. After each painting demo you will be sent a link to a recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days. During the second and third session, Jonathan will offer feedback to any students who would like to share their work from previous weeks.
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- Working wet in wet
- Mixing strong, dark colours
- Using white paint with watercolour
- How to change the atmosphere of a painting by changing a colour
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
- A4 or ¼ imperial pad of ‘Not’ surface watercolour paper 140lb/300gsm (‘Not’ refers to the surface texture of the paper and is also known as CP (cold pressed) or Bockingford)
- Size 8 or 10 round watercolour brush
- Size 4 round watercolour brush
- Larger brush such as a Hake, large flat or 2 inch decorators brush
- Watercolour paint, either tubes or pans, in Ultramarine Blue, Cobalt Blue, Burnt Sienna, Raw Sienna OR Yellow Ochre, Alizarin Crimson OR Cadmium Red, Cadmium Yellow Pale OR Aureolin
- White paint such as gouache, Chinese white, or white ink
- 2B pencil
- Water container
Links to suppliers