ONLINE Calligraphy: Layouts for Dummies - Mon 7th November at 10am
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the workshop demo live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this workshop for 30 days. Please note that the follow up session is not recorded.
Mon 7th November 10am - 11:30am workshop demo
Mon 21st November 10am - 11am feedback & follow up
This LivePlus™ online workshop is suitable for beginners and improvers.
How do you arrange your carefully honed calligraphy when you’ve perfected it? Make an eye-catching arrangement by understanding margins, focal points, contrast, counterbalance, wavy lines: try them all, to ensure your creative talents get an airing.
We all want to show our calligraphy off to its best advantage, we just need to know how, whether it’s for an official notice or a favourite poem.
If the words hold special significance we may want to enhance the meaning, or in some cases to intrigue the reader to look closer.
To this end you’ll see how best to draw thumbnail sketches and make cut-and-paste (the original scissors-and-glue method), playing about with traditional layouts and then developing more dynamic arrangements. In every case the aim is to make an attractive composition.
And for fun we’ll also write on wavy lines, create a spiral and make simple background effects with pastels.
You needn't have the materials ready whilst watching the live demonstration – the demo session is a time to watch, ask and learn. After the demo you will be given a link to the recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days.
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- Basic rules of composition
- Balance and counterbalance
- How to cut-and-paste
- Focal points
- Getting good margins
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
- A4 layout pad
- Some better paper to complete your design (Mary suggests cartridge paper, but this is optional)
- HB pencil
- Calligraphy pens large & small (whatever you usually use)
- Black ink
- Scissors for cutting paper
- Scotch Repositionable glue (like Pritt-stick but it works like the glue on post-it notes) OR you can use 3M Spray Mount (but please note that it is flammable and must only be used in well ventilated spaces)
- Four strips of black paper approx. 40cm long for determining margins
- Compass (for drawing circles, not for navigating!)
- Optional – some chalk pastels eg Conte, plus a knife and cotton wool, for easy background effects
Links to suppliers