ONLINE Printing for Christmas - Wed 22nd November 2023 at 10am
BOOKING DEADLINE: Wed 8th November at 12pm UK TIME
If you wish to take part but are unable to attend the workshop demo live, please select the recording only option below.
All students will be given access to watch our video playback service of this workshop for 60 days.
Wed 22nd November 10am - 12pm
This LivePlus™ online workshop is suitable for absolute beginners right through to those with some printing experience looking to refresh their skills. The class will be packed full of inspiration for Christmas. You needn't have the materials ready whilst watching this online demonstration – it is a time to watch, ask and learn.
Learn some easy printing methods using basic lino-cutting techniques, together with simple stamps, to make greetings cards, tags, decorations, boxes & bags ready for Christmas.
We will be using ink pads, acrylic paints or printing inks during the workshop. Using lino and a selection of other materials, we will create simple printing plates to produce designs suitable for making a range of festive items quickly and easily.
Brown parcel paper or coloured paper can be decorated with a repeat pattern using simple stamps to make unique gift wrap or origami boxes. Fabric, such as calico or cotton, prints up beautifully to make festive fabric decorations and small cloth gift bags. And, of course, there are endless paper printed items along with cards and tags that can be made using these techniques.
A smattering of glitter and a touch of gold and silver paint will give everything a festive feel!
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- Creating designs suitable for printing onto paper & cloth
- Making small printing plates from lino, erasers and foam/polystyrene
- Materials & tools for getting the best results when hand-printing
- A variety of inking & printing techniques
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
- Lightweight cartridge paper, blank cards & envelopes, brown parcel paper, calico or cotton
- Water-based block-printing inks OR: Acrylic Paints plus a slow-drying medium or block printing medium OR: Ink pads (the sort used for rubber stamping)
- Softcut or Easy-cut Lino, Set of linocutting tools (you can buy an Essdee Taster kit for approx. £12 from Amazon – or individual items from somewhere such as Handprinted – details below)
- Kids craft foam…self adhesive is best (available from Hobbycraft) – if you can’t get self -adhesive you will need double-sided tape.
- Sturdy piece of cardboard (back of an A4 pad will be fine) or piece of sturdy plastic that can be cut with scissors (such as a food container) as a backing for craft foam
- Scissors or craft knife, dessert spoon, masking tape,
- Roller or brayer if you have one (or kitchen sponges)
- Tracing paper or greaseproof paper
- Something flat for rolling ink onto (glass /piece of acetate or plastic/ tear off palette),
- Small brushes / washing-up sponge / cotton buds / J-cloth
- Kitchen roll / baby wipes
Links to suppliers
- www.handprinted.co.uk (can also order by phone)
- www.intaglioprintmakers.com (can also order by phone)
All Ardington ONLINE classes and talks are accompanied by their own online blackboard. Helpful and easy to use, they enable students and tutors to share resources, ideas and photos with each other – just as you would in a classroom environment.
Karen will offer personalised critique / feedback via the blackboard for any work uploaded by students within thirty days of the class ending. You will be sent the link to access your blackboard in the week before your class begins and will have access for at least sixty days after the class ends.
After the live session has finished on Zoom, we will share the link to view the recording on the blackboard. You can watch the recording as many times as you like for sixty days.
We suggest that you do not buy any specialist materials more than one week in advance as, occasionally, a class may be cancelled due to low enrolment.