ONSITE A Long Winter Landscape: Textiles & Paint - Sat 14th & Sun 15th September 2024
Included in each day:
- Five hours of expert tuition
- Homemade cookies on arrival
- Filter coffee & selection of teas available free all day
- Freshly prepared lunch
- Homemade afternoon tea
- Ample Free Parking
- Free WiFi
- Easy ground-floor access
Join Sarah to complete a seasonal cycle of textile artworks on this two day class. Having previously created a series of three pieces with our students - including a summer field of gold, an autumn field after harvest and a stunning spring bluebell wood - Sarah will guide stitchers through the process of a winter landscape.
Working with a very muted colour palette, students will use texture and stitch to create a bleak midwinter scene worked from photographic inspiration - perhaps a favourite place or simply a photo you have seen. We will combine paint and fabrics to create your own landscape art. The tutor will provide a basic fabric kit to get you started but it’s always good to add to it from your own stashes.
Skills / Techniques Covered
We will use acrylics to create your sky and then using different textiles and various stitching techniques – straight stitching, free motion machine embroidery - you will create your winter scene and then further embellish the pieces with hand stitching, embroidery and beads. You will create either a long portrait version or a wide narrow landscape.
Materials are not included in the booking fee. Some materials will be provided by the tutor. The approximate cost of these will be £15, payable to the tutor during the workshop.
Students - please bring with you:
- Sewing Machine – must be fully working and ready to use and must be one you are familiar with.
- You must be able to lower your feed dogs and you will need a free motion embroidery or darning foot and a normal straight stitch foot.
- A selection of photo images of winter scenes, either taken yourself or from magazines that can be used for reference.
- A selection of machine needles - universal and embroidery
- Various hand sewing needles which can be used with a variety of thread weights.
- Tape measure/ pins
- Scissors for cutting fabric/thread
- Drawing pens or pencils and eraser
- A variety of threads suitable for your machine and embroidery floss – you may also wish to bring some metallic threads. These should be in the same palette or for a contrast.
- Any beads you may have in your stash in relevant colours
The tutor will supply the basic fabrics you will need but you may wish to bring some fabrics in a muted winter palette which can be added to provide shape or texture. These could include silks, hessian, velvet, hand dyed felts, organzas – you will only need tiny amounts, so please check your fabric stashes first!
If you have your own acrylic paints and wish to bring them, please feel free – but please do not buy any specially, as the tutor will have them.
We advise that you do not buy any materials required for a course more than two weeks in advance, because occasionally a course is cancelled due to low enrolment.