ONSITE Tezhip: Introduction to Islamic Floral Illumination - Thur 16th May 2024
Included in your day:
- Five hours of expert tuition
- Homemade cookies on arrival
- Filter coffee & selection of teas available free all day
- Freshly prepared lunch
- Homemade afternoon tea
- Ample Free Parking
- Free WiFi
- Easy ground-floor access
This workshop is an introduction to the art of Islamic illumination, known as Tezhip. By taking inspiration from historic manuscripts, students will paint a classic Islamic Illumination pattern using traditional painting and gilding techniques.
The tutor will give a short presentation on art of Tezhip, meaning ‘ornamenting with gold’ highlighting historic Islamic manuscripts adorned with stylised floral patterns illuminated with real 24 carat gold to glorify the religious text. In the workshop participants will explore the principles of symmetry and draw Islamic floral motifs known as ‘Penç ’ and ‘Hatayi’ flowers. Participants will be shown how to prepare gold paint from 24ct gold leaf, known as ‘shell gold’ and be introduced to traditional paper preparation methods. Students will then be taught the traditional ‘halkar’ shading technique to paint and gild a tezhip floral composition prepared by the tutor.
Skills / Techniques Covered
- Drawing basic stylised Islamic flowers using different symmetry principles
- Traditional painting and shading techniques known as halkar in Turkish Illumination
- Preparing and painting with 24 carat gold used in Tezhip Islamic illumination
- An introduction to other traditional material preparation techniques
Materials are not included in the booking fee. Most materials will be provided by the tutor. The approximate cost of these will be £5, payable to the tutor during the workshop
Students - please bring with you:
- Paint palette with wells (to continue painting at home) and kitchen roll
- Selection of fine watercolour brushes, ideally sable (sizes no.000, no.0, no.1) although tutor will have some for students’ use.
- Small selection of gouache or watercolour paints (black, red, pinks, yellow, blue etc.) if available, although tutor will have some for students’ use.
- H, HB pencils, pencil sharpener or mechanical pencil recommended, eraser and optional coloured pencils
We advise that you do not buy any materials required for a course more than two weeks in advance, because occasionally a course is cancelled due to low enrolment.